Tuesday 28 February 2012

Bedroom it is, Where to Begin

General consensus, on which room to start, seems to be the bedroom. The surprising part was every ones reasoning was the same. To be all about me and have a room to give me a excellent start to the day! This is a train of thought that agrees with me immensely!
Now first things first, paint! Before you pick a color you'll need to do some research on what brand of paint and what type of paint you'll need. This is Vital and don't be afraid to stop by your local hardware store to get some advice. In my experience people love being asked for their opinions and equally love giving them. A good website for educating yourself is Rona.ca. Their prices aren't the best and the stores are always on the outskirts of town, but they know what they are talking about! Rona says "A "one-coat-only" paint could possibly be enough. But, professionals will tell you that a second finishing coat always produces better results" From one stop paint jobs that I've seen I fully agree with this. Its like nail polish, one coat adds color but you can see the brush strokes!
There are two main options to choose from, latex and alkyd.
Latex is usually the more popular choice. Its water based and for all my green friends its the most environmentally friendly choice. Because its water based it makes cleaning your tools hella easy! It also isn't gonna get you high while you paint (pro or con you decide) because it supposedly doesn't develop a strong smell like most paints. Rona says that latex matte finishes aren't easy to clean. As much as I will love and clean my little condo I don't know how often I will need, or want, to clean my walls. So I'm not to worried about it.
Alkyd paint isn't something I've heard of before. Wiki says Alkyd  "is a polyester modified by the addition of fatty acids and other components". Wow this sounds technical so I'm not going into detail. If you wish to learn more and be super smart just click the link. A bonus for this paint is that it adheres well to any surface, this includes hair and skin! Its also a super durable paint, yielding to pretty much any problem you would run into down the road. the down side is you need to use a solvent to remove it from all your brushes, and probably carpet if that horrific fate happens.
So I think I'm going green with this task. Latex seems like an all around better choice. Let's face it, a paint fight is bound to happen while I'm in charge. So if it's easy to clean up I'll take it!
Pricing out this job is a S M R T plan. You'll need to measure the square footage or your room to figure out how much paint you'll need. I'm going to measure the room and then use my feminine whiles to get a home depot man to do the math. I'm single and need to exercise my skills!
For paint brushes and rolls you have options. If you know anyone who has recently painted and has all the tools you need, save yourself the money and borrow them. If your place is small like mine there's no room to store them after the work is done, and to just throw them out after is a waste or mula. However if you must have your own, they have to be pink! Or not just a suggestion. Ive been told you can buy the same rolls from a hardware store and the dollar store. But brushes you should not cheap out on, or risk having the hairs stuck in your paint job.
Well I hope this information helped you as much as it did me. It may be a while before I follow up with paint colors and pictures, but stay tuned for more developments in my endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment